Many thanks to Alex, Sarah and Ryan for these great photos of our January adventures!
Hawthorn bushes are fit to bursting at this time of year! Dean found this cracking Haw Jelly recipe here.
You will need:
- Hawthorn berries (haws)*
- Juice of one lemon
- Remove all stalks and leaves. If you roll a handful (stalks and all) between your hands, the haws should come away easily.
- Wash and drain haws. Place in a large saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for one hour, mashing every twenty minutes or so with a potato masher.
- Strain the mixture through some muslin overnight. Do not squeeze the bag, just let it drain naturally.
- In the morning, for every 700ml of liquid you have, measure out 500g sugar.
- Stir the sugar and the juice of one lemon into the mixture. Bring to the boil.
- Rapid boil for 10 minutes until the jelly has reached its setting point.
- Skim foam off the top of the mixture, and pour into warm, sterilised jars.
*700 grams of haws = 1 jar of Haw Jelly