Thankyou to our intrepid secretary Mark for preparing these minutes. 🙂
Pagan Collective of Victoria
Meeting Minutes 23/07/2016
Present: Sarah, Josie, Ryan, Nikole, Dorian, and Mark
Apologies: Shaz, River, Fiona, Ang, and Lucas
Absent: Belinda, Mei, Ben, Ceilidh, Luca, Buck, Cossette, Ceilidh
Meeting Location: The Wesley Anne, Northcote
Meeting Open: 12.31PM
Minutes of previous meeting read and accepted
- Presidents Report – The meetups have run well on their own, people have come to rely on them and expect them to run like clockwork. The PCV is three years old and hopefully is now out of the honeymoon period. Its been great to see how popular the calendar has been, it is now the most visited page on the website.
- Secretary’s Report – Memberships have continued to come in and be added to the database. We are now sitting over 200 registered members, it was pretty exciting to see.
- Treasurer’s Report – We haven’t been raising new funds, our current balance is $310. Ryan needs to be added to the bank account at some point to bring us up to 3 signatories. Also needs to transfer the money from Paypal across to the account.
- Meetups – The CBD meetups are going to move from every second month to monthly to accommodate the wishes of the attendees, the organizers are going to shop around for a possible new venue. The meetup organizers for the CBD are now Ryan, Sarah and Nikole to help with any issues of running the event monthly now.
Sarah motioned that as part of the inclusiveness we need to start finding out a lot more about accessibility of venues that host meetups and events so people know what to expect regarding things like wheel chair access, toilets etc. Seconded by Jo and passed unanimously this will start to be phased in as soon as possible.
Central Victorian meetups are continuing on a bi-monthly system, they have been growing slowly and we have seen some new faces as well as familiar ones at the meetups.
Ballarat PitP is still running along, although it is now being run by Evelyn who lets us know the dates for the calendar.
The Frankston area meetup is starting to get steam and will be keeping us up to date as things are worked out.
Central Vic Heathens, like the Central Vic meetups are slowly gaining traction and interest.
The Hills meetups have been running great at the new venue with a great turnout
- Membership’s – All new memberships were approved unanimously.
- 2016 & 17 Dates –
Jo motioned for a change to the regularity of committee meetings, that committee meetings are now going to be every two months and that the additional meetings be tacked on to days that meetups are happening so the committee can gather early have a meeting and then enjoy the meetup. Mark seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
The remaining meetings for the committee in 2016 will be on the 26th of November (Hills location) and 10th of September (Country location, possibly Castlemaine)
The CBD meets for the start of next year will be (future meet dates for 2017 TBC):
15th of January (First committee meeting of the year)
19th of February
19th of March
16th of April
2nd of May
- Samhain 2016 – The ritual was an amazing success, as always Seline hosted an easily accessible ritual that fostered a great atmosphere. It was nice to see new faces, some of which were people that had never attended any public ritual before. It looks like Seline wants to host next year’s Samhain too. Unanimously agreed that if Seline wants to host 2017 Samhain then it is hers to run with again.
- Pagans in the Park/Pagan Pride Day – Continuing on from previous discussions the idea of Pagan Pride day was raised again. A small working group was assembled (Nikole, Sarah, Shaz and Dorian) to start getting the ball rolling for a possible February date.
- Yule Dinner 2016 – Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond our control (including the sale of the planned venue) the Yule Dinner this year didn’t happen. However we are keen to have another one next year, new venues to be explored and the possibility of a lower price (whether that means only a 2 course meal this time or other options to be explored futher)
- PCV Crafts – A new A4 or A5 handout is to be designed (by Mark) and bunting is to be attached so we can start pushing this project. It would be great to have the first section ready for Pagan Pride Day in 2017.
- Workshops – There is still a call for workshops that are cheap/free and accessible. We need to approach workshop people and try and see if we can get some of them on board to help with this. We will need to explore what avenues are available for free venues. There could be themes like divination day. Sarah had offered to be co-ordinator for this.
- Policy Finalisation – Policies were accepted unanimously as the date for proposed changes had been and gone.
- Any Other Business – Dorian has offered to write regular pieces for the newsletter about a different local animal each month.
We are going to trial a What Are You Reading segment in the newsletter, get reviews of what is being read.
The suggested reading page needs an overhaul with some content to be cut and other areas to be expanded, this will happen gradually over the next few months.
Calendar – If a venue or date for an event changes Jo needs to know about it so that she can change it on the calendar so that it is correct. We also need to consider a ban list for people or groups that keep cancelling at the last moment and no longer advertise their events. The calendar gets a lot of hits and we don’t want people getting bad info.
Jo proposed an action that we review the policy for calendar by next meeting, we need to consider redefining what suits the calendar for paganism and have parameters or a policy to cover it. Some of the events being sent for the calendar don’t seem to fit under the pagan umbrella.
MFPG – It would be great if the PCV could supply a person again to run the kids maypole (or a few people)
Sabbats – it would be great if we could run more sabbats, if we could run an event on each of the big sabbats that would be great.
Moons – it was discussed whether we need to offer moon or dark moon rituals, the committee already runs a lot though. The conclusion was that we run a half page ad for the newsletter and see if there are groups interested in running an accessible moon/dark moon ritual preferably in a city location.
A proposed change of wording to PCV friendly businesses so that the policy now reads that when possible a donation would be appreciated.
Meeting End: 2.10PM