What’s happening in Victoria this month?
The public holiday tomorrow will see not only the Mind Body Spirit Festival Australia hit Melbourne, but also our friends over at Muses Of Mystery host their crafty workshop, Stitching Witches: https://www.facebook.com/events/1623697191200512/
Then on the 10th, Geelong Pagans are hosting their monthly Pagans for Lunch – https://www.facebook.com/events/573946169414467/
This Saturday the 13th is our inaugural Pagan Community Yule Dinner (tickets have sold out!) – https://www.facebook.com/events/470736253080986/
The following day is the June edition of our Monthly Hills Pagan Coffee Meets, held as always in the cozy, comfortable atmosphere of The Magpie Cafe Upwey: https://www.facebook.com/events/933035286756887/
The 15th of June sees the Muses of Mystery host their Realms of the Gods and Goddesses workshop: https://www.facebook.com/events/883483035030971/
On the 20th the Melbourne Heathen Moot is happening in Clifton Hill, for folks who identify with Heathen/Asatru paths.
The Geelong Pagans’ Solstice Gathering is taking place on the 22nd: https://www.facebook.com/events/1608148372760303/
Then the 28th is our inaugural CBD Pagan Pub Moot! https://www.facebook.com/events/1474014806223068/
***Did you know our calendar page now has a pricing guide, to help you better plan your events? Check it out here: https://pagancollective.org/whats-on/
To see your event on our calendar, you can get it touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pagan Collective of Victoria
Meeting Minutes 9/5/2015
Present: Ryan, Josie, Mei, Mark, Ben, Lucas, Seline
Apologies: Cosette, Hawthorn, Nickole, Sarah, Seumas
Absent: Rosanne, Allison, River, Bret, Brett
Meeting Location: Portland Hotel, Melbourne CBD
Meeting Open: 1.15PM
- President’s Report – The coffee meetups have continued to go strong and is still experiencing new members turning up.
The first Ballarat meetup/Pagans in the Pub is scheduled to happen and there has been some interest which is exciting.
The Collective now has a bank account with the Bendigo Bank, more in the Treasurer’s report.
The Yule Dinner is approaching and the ticket sales are now live.
- Secretary’s Report – Currently we are approaching businesses to ask about being PCV friendly and those that are for website friendly graphics so that we can get them up on the website.
- Treasurer’s Report – The new Bendigo Bank account has been set up with Josie and Mark being the current signatories. Bendigo is happy to add more signatories as needed with appropriate minuting provided by us. They also offer the use of the community EFTPOS machine for events.
Tickets for the Yule Dinner are now selling, to avoid too many transaction fees the money will stay in PayPal for now.
- Memberships – 15 new memberships approved this meeting, this decrease is probably due to the fact that we are pushing events both for the Collective and other groups more than memberships at the moment.
- Newsletter – Samhain Newsletter is late due to articles being slow to be submitted. Will be out soon.
It is possibly worth looking at either getting a newsletter person in the future or more people sharing the job.
It is proposed that we consider doing a series of intro articles, introducing readers to different pagan paths.
- Coffee Meet Ups – The Upwey meetup is still getting bigger and seeing a lot of new faces.
The CBD meetup still needs a venue for the meetup to take place but the potential first date will be June 3rd, to be confirmed once a venue is found.
Ballarat is having its first meetup up at Irish Murphey’s in Ballarat, which is the location meetups used to happen in Ballarat. Hopefully using the same location will make it easier. There has been some interested parties in the meetup, which will be held quarterly. The meetup will be on the 23rd at 12.30.
- Yule Dinner 2015 – The ticket sales shut off will be the 1st June, we are self-imposing a minimum of 30 ticket sales to make it worthwhile for the venue. If we don’t get the numbers by the 1st we will have to consider calling off the event.
To help make sure we do well on ticket sales we need to share the event as much as possible not just on the PCV page but on other pages as well as our personal walls. All help to share it will be appreciated. Mei kindly made a flyer for the event, with the digital file being available on the Committee page, feel free to share it around.
Prizes are being sorted for the awards as well as the raffle. It should hopefully make for a good addition to the night.
- Members Survey – The questions are all ready and Mark will e-mail them to Mei so that the Survey Monkey can be set up with the Members Survey. Hopefully this will produce some interesting results for the Collective and its members.
- AGM – The AGM is going to be held at Stuzzi in Northcote with nominations for it closing two weeks before the AGM both for named positions and the General Committee positions.
- Proposed Membership Fees for 2016 – So far the collective has run as a free organisation, however running the organisation has costs and these have been getting covered by Josie and Ryan.
The proposed fees that the Collective move to will be:
– $15 Student/Concession
– $25 General
– $40 Family (3 – 4 adults all residing at the same address is a family for the purposes of membership fees.)
- Insurance – So after some hunting around the estimates for Insurance for the PCV is looking to be somewhere between $1,200 – $1,500. Josie is going to hunt around a little more and see if there is a better policy/deal to be had.
- Imbolc Ritual 2015 – We cannot really discuss the Imbolc Ritual without the organisers present, more details will be shared as it becomes available.
- Annual Ball – We cannot really discuss the Annual Ball without the organisers present, more details will be shared as it becomes available.
- Skill Sharing Across the Pagan Community – Nothing new to discuss yet for this.
- PCV Crafts – The pennants/bunting idea is still being considered and the materials to start making the blanks for members to decorate will be acquired soon.
- The PCV at Mount Franklin – We should consider doing a $5 off membership drive at Mount Franklin to help kick off the paid memberships for the first year.
Misc. – The next meetings that have been set are:
– The AGM on the 18th of July to be held at Stuzzi in Northcote followed by a normal meeting at the same location
– 12th of September and is marked down as a rural meet-up to be held at a rural location that will be advised closer to the date
– 12th of December and is set to be a Upwey event at the Magpie Café
The website needs a change to fix a broken link, the Consumer Affairs have changed the model rules and as a result the link to them on our website is not working at present.
It is probably worth considering that committee members have or acquire a Working with Children Check for the purposes of ensuring that we are not open to problems at public events that we run/help out with.
As a matter of courtesy to everyone it would be really appreciated if you cannot make it to a meeting that you try to give 48 hours notice. Some of the members travel a long way and it would be terrible for them to do that and we do not have the numbers for quorum. It is also a kindness to the other members who could change their plans if the meeting is cancelled.
Seline pitched the idea of running a two day expo that has an evening maskerade ball that we could invite Spiral Dance to attend. The proposed time would be October 2016 to allow all the necessary preparation time. Seline would need a dedicated sub-committee to help her make this a success, they would be needed especially in the intense three month period prior to the event. If the PCV has insurance that can cover it by then we will lend that to the expo as well as any help that we can. Seline has a venue in mind, that will be included in a later information update.
Meeting End: 2.51 PM
The Victorian Pagan Scene seems to be getting busier each month! See our Calendar for more events coming up near you. 🙂
4th: Full Moon Circle at Seline’s Temple (Plenty)
For details visit the What’s Brewing Now? Facebook group.
5th: Date of Full Moon
7th: Pagans in the Pub Melbourne (Fairfield)
For details visit the Facebook event or call Philippe: 0402 437 086
7th: Earthsong Monthly Coffee Meetup (Northcote)
Topic: Stories of Initiation. For details visit the Facebook event.
7th: Wendy Rule Melbourne Concert (Northcote)
For details visit the Facebook event.
14th: Submissions close for Mabon issue of Spokes of the Wheel
Please send your articles/artwork to email@example.com
15th: PCV Monthly Hills Pagan Coffee Meet (Upwey)
See the Facebook event for details.
21st: Melbourne Heathen Moot (Clifton Hill)
Asatru/Heathenism. See the Facebook page for details.
27th– 29th: Seven Sisters Festival (Mount Martha)
See the Seven Sisters website for more.
28th: Creating Ceremony: The Art of Ecstatic Ritual (Brunswick)
Hosted by Melbourne Reclaiming. See the Facebook event for details.
Many thanks to Mark for preparing these minutes. 🙂
Pagan Collective of Victoria
Meeting Minutes 21/2/2015
Present: Ryan, Josie, Mei, Mark, Sarah, River, Nickole
Apologies: Cosette, Bret, Brett, Hawthorn, Lisa, Fiona, Seumas
Absent: Rosanne, Allison
Meeting Location: Magpie Cafe, Upwey
Meeting Open: 1.17PM
- Presidents Report – The collective hit one hundred members this month, that’s really exciting given how long we’ve been running. The coffee meet ups have been going fantastically, with lots of new faces young and old.
- Secretary’s Report – Due to some issues with the stickers for the membership packs the posting out of membership packs is slightly behind. The new stickers have now arrived and look great, so we can resume sending out membership packs to everyone again.
- Treasurer’s Report – The incoming and outgoing for the collective has still been $0, everything has been donated by Josie and Ryan so far. The collective bank account hasn’t been set up yet, however with no immediate income expected there isn’t an urgent need. Josie and Ryan will set one up with the Bendigo as previously agreed, it will be a standard not for profit account.
- Memberships – 47 new members have been approved for the Collective
- Newsletter – As always we are looking for people to write new content for the newsletter, submissions will be the 14th of March and hopeful send out will be the 21st. Mark volunteered to look into writing an article.
- Coffee Meet Ups – The coffee meet ups have been successful with good attendance, lots of diversity of attendees and amazing levels of enthusiasm.
The potential of a metro meet up was proposed with Sarah offering to help Ryan get it up and running and provide advice. The specifications/concerns people had were that the venue was not too loud/busy, that topics of discussion were provided each meet up and that it didn’t clash with the times Melbourne Pagans in the Pub meet up.
The action decided was that Ryan and Sarah would attempt to get one running before next meeting.
The possibility of a Central Vic meet up was raised with a few locations suggested – Hepburn Springs, Bunninyong and the Botanical Gardens in Ballarat.
The action on that was that Josie, Mark and Mei will look into setting up a meet up before next meeting.
Sarah raised the problem of exposure for the meetups, Facebook Pages and Groups struggle to make it into newsfeeds under the current format. The solution decided was that if people could try and like and share events to help everyone reach a decent audience it would be greatly appreciated and help ensure the success of the events having a good turnout.
- Samhain Ritual 2015 – Selene is available again for Samhain Ritual, the dates will be discussed with her as well as what she requires (bring a plate?, materials, etc.).
- Yule Dinner 2015 – The venue that looks best from the research Ryan did is called The Last Jar, it is located at the Carlton end of the CBD so is fairly accessible. It has an upstairs function room they would be willing to let us use. The food would allow for a vegetarian option that would also cover vegans.
Ideally the collective would need 30+ attendees to make it worth The Last Jar’s time.
The date for the dinner was tentatively set as the 13th of June with the venue being The Last Jar.
Awards to be decided on for giving out at the dinner, examples – most distant member, most active, young persons award, daggiest witch etc.
River has offered to help promote the event.
A sub committee consisting of Ryan, Josie, Mei and Mark was formed to meet a few times before the dinner and continue working on the event. The first sub committee meeting was scheduled for March 14th.
- Members Survey – The survey for the collective was discussed with Mark presenting the brainstorming for questions ideas that occurred between meetings. People were happy with the proposed questions and added a few more to the list.
It was proposed that a breakdown of the survey information be published (all members details to be kept confidential of course) because there would likely be interest in how our community looks as a demographic.
The membership survey was approved and Mark and Mei will to set it up, a link to it will be sent out once it is up.
- Changes to committee – Charlie T’s official resignation was given to the committee and accepted.
- AGM – The collective needs to hold an AGM mid year, the date the committee decided was the 18th of July at 1PM and the proposed venue (TBC) was Stuzzi. Nickole offered to book the venue.
The offices up for vote will be President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Secretary. Again general committee positions will be available.
- Proposed Membership Fees for 2016 – So far the collective has run as a free organisation, however running the organisation has costs and these have been getting covered by Josie and Ryan. A comparison of other groups fee structure and services was looked at and the breakdown of predictable costs for the organisation were discussed. The categories of membership were proposed as singles, joint/family, Interstate and International. The exact costings will be decided after more research into the issue and cost of insurance.
- Insurance – Josie needs to talk to a few more people about the possibilities and costs for insurance and present the findings to the committee.
- Dates – Dates for the remainder of the 2015 meetings were discussed with the following outcome:
- Sat 9th May 1PM (city, venue TBC)
- AGM Sat 13th June 1PM (Stuzzi TBC)
- Sat 12th September 1PM (rural, venue TBC)
- Sat 12th December 1PM (Cafe Magpie, Upwey TBC)
- Imbolc Ritual 2015 – The date for Imbolc is tentatively the 1st with the venue proposed as the Darebin Parklands.
- Annual Ball – Sarah proposed the idea of an annual ball, with the proposed first one being in 2016. The idea of it being at Samhain with a suitable theme was suggested as the tentative date.
The ball will be an adult oriented event with music, dressing up and drinks (licensed venue).
Sarah will check with Philippe and Selene to make sure they do not have an issue with a ball running at that time and to ensure no clashing with events they host.
- Meeting Locations – The proposal that there be more CBD meetings was raised by River. Sarah volunteered to look for a suitable city venue for the next meeting, everyone agreed to let her know if they heard of anywhere suitable in the meantime.
- Skill Sharing Across the Pagan Community – Nickole discussed the idea of skill sharing across the community and the possibility of workshops being organised (and better promoted). Possible workshop topics would be skills, ritual, spell and traditions. With the idea of making it more accessible for people to gain cross tradition knowledge and skills.
It was decided to wait until the survey results are in to see what sort of traditions members follow and if there were people willing to run workshops and share skills before more action is taken.
- PCV Crafts – Mark proposed the idea that the PCV start to assemble bunting to have at events it was at, to give more exposure but also as a community exercise. It was decided that bunting will be made up, blank and taken to meetings, coffee meet ups and other events where members can grab one to decorate in a fashion that reflects them or their path, with the final product being returned to us and being attached to the community efforts. Hopefully this will be a nice reflection of the positive community that is in Victoria and will look fantastic at events such as Mount Franklin.
- It was proposed and accepted that the PCV logo should be made up into a digital pack that is available for use in a variety of formats -jpeg, gif, black and white/grayscale etc. This will make it easier for other people that want to promote the PCV.
- Earthsong will send a details pack to the PCV so they can receive advertising through the collective.
- To ensure the community (PCV is fine but if you feel ok with it sharing other groups too it would be fantastic) is getting decent exposure please make sure to like, comment and share events and posts that are advertising events and announcements.
- The idea that once paid memberships become a thing in 2016 that the PCV have membership giveaways on Facebook was proposed, to be looked at once its applicable.
Meeting End: 3.38PM